Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Computational Holography

I've been going over the math for Fourier optics carefully for several days now, and have come to realize that what I'm actually doing is computational holography. This may appear surprising at first, but if you think about what I'm trying to do, it'll make sense.  When you create a hologram, what you're doing is recording the interference patterns of light reflected off of an object.  The only difference between what I'm doing and what a holographer does is that I'm not interested in reconstructing the scene, I'm interested in the interference patterns to determine how much power is received at some particular point in space.  I've also come to realize that pure computational holography may be inadequate to fully describe a scene; none of the papers or sources I've read take reflection into account.  That said, I do have a plan to handle reflection, provided I can handle a few, relatively simple cases first.  Basically, I'll do what any good ray-tracing program would do, and let surfaces accumulate light that they re-radiate.  However, that will likely be outside of the scope of what I'm trying to do for my class; it's just something that I need to keep in mind for the future.

Here are some papers to take a look at:

No comments:

Post a Comment