Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dual Quaternions

I spent much of today hacking out code so that I can use dual quaternions, only to realize that there is every chance that they are significantly slower than using homogenous coordinates.  Why?  Because dual quaternions require an 8 x 1 column vector to represent, while a rotation and translation (same power as a dual quaternion) requires a 4 x 4 matrix; the important point is that the 4 x 4 matrix may be hardware accelerated on the GPU as mat4 is an OpenGL type.  The only other advantage that dual quaternions have is that they are relatively easy to blend (interpolate & extrapolate) over.  However, for my purposes, there won't be any blending being done; you need to rotate & translate by some fixed amount, and that's it. 

For the time being, I'm side-stepping the issue.  Originally, I had the ability to embed frames within other frames, forming a mesh of frames (along with embedding objects within a frame).  Although I still allow all the embedding to happen, I don't walk out to find all the embedded parts, which means that if it isn't embedded in the top-level frame, it isn't found.  This isn't ideal, but it will allow me to get to the heart of the problem more quickly.  Once I have some really good results, I'll revisit this problem, and see what can be done about it.  The more I look at it though, the more I think I'm going to have to go with homogeneous coordinates, and just be done with it.

1 comment:

  1. For the sake of time, I would just go with homogeneous coordinates. Also, technically mat4 is not an OpenGL type; it is a GLSL type. In our homeworked, we used mat4 in C++ code because it was available to us as part of the glm library.

    ReplyDelete